In various ways, smart devices like security cameras and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to get alerts if a visitor comes up our front door, and we can have video segments delivered to us when suspicious movements are happening. Having implements we can access over the internet warns us of developing threats immediately. But there is one primary disadvantage. The quick access that keeps us connected is also creating a pathway for virtual intrusions.
Even though you don’t need to lay awake at night agonizing over smart home hacking in Fort Worth, you ought to be cognizant of the potential danger and take steps to circumvent it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
Almost anything may be linked to the internet today - your home’s security components, light bulbs, and even your refrigerator. The issue is that this creates more avenues for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home security systems or other smart components. Instead, abide by these tips and take steps to keep intruders out of your network.
- Protect with strong passwords: This is a must for any account, including your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Don’t use dates of birth, street names, or other options hackers could easily guess. A password creator will give you something completely random and a password management tool may aid you in keeping tabs on your many accounts.
- Avoid default settings: When you first unbox a new router, it’s likely to come with a preset password to get you started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers are likely to have these default settings too. Configuring your Wi-Fi network and home router properly from day one is critical in keeping you protected.
- Set up separate networks: Why include your smart range, your home security components, and the laptop you use for work on the same network? Most routers permit you to initiate a separate guest network. Make use of it and safeguard personal information present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for businesses. They might also be incorporated into your home network. Firewalls will watch your network’s traffic and thwart questionable activity. You could begin with a router with an integrated firewall.
- Use the most up-to-date encryption settings and security protocols: If you’re using a newer router, you may have the ability to utilize WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You ought to find home security devices that use 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is updated: Keep your software and firmware at the latest levels for all equipment, and that includes your connected video cameras. In some cases, these updates will address known issues and tighten up your network’s security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Equipment In Fort Worth
One of the benefits of working with a trusted name like ADT is having the peace of mind that security implements are regularly being inspected to ensure there are no susceptibilities. Other off-the-shelf brands may not be so conscientious. Getting your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and other items from a lone source like ADT makes sense. And getting all of your equipment installed at once will help ensure seamless implementation, operation, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, uses two-way encryption when interacting with your integrated components.
Request Your Own Fort Worth Home Defense Package
Now that you have a better idea on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to get started on your own home defense system in Fort Worth. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to create the perfect package for your property. Contact us at (817) 415-2313 or complete the form to get started.